Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reflection on ONG

Meeting at Our Next Generation really opened my eyes to a lot of things. We all know that things like some of their situations at home are going on and we can normally shrug them off and go about our day. However, when you work with these kids it's hard to just turn and pretend like this stuff doesn't happen. I know that I cannot change what happens to these kids at home, nor can I change where they are going to be in the next 5 years, but with that time I spend with the kids they remind me of, well me! Despite all these hardships they will face they are just kids. At Our Next Generation they have the opportunity to just be kids and have fun, while increasing skills necessary for them to excel academically and reach higher levels of education than possibly anyone ever has in their families. For that two hours I'm there to help these children. They always seem to warm up to all the volunteers really quickly. They are a lot of fun to be around and seem to have enough energy to run an ultra-marathon! These kids have given me something special, no matter how difficult things get for me these kids will have a much more difficult time. So if they can get through what they are dealing with and graduate from high school and college, well that just has to give hope to everybody. I'm sure many of the people working with them will see the same thing that I have seen. They are a special group of children and with the help of Our Next Generation they may finally have a future denied to them by outside factors such as family income and moving from place to place. With all the factors working against these children it's nice to see that there are people out there willing to put in their time to help them succeed. Especially when most people are having enough problems on the home front. To go out of your way to help children is really something.

No comments:

Post a Comment